Golden Eagle Festival-Sagsai
14-15 September 2019 in Sagsai town
There will be 50-70 Golden Eagle Hunters will take this festival-competitions. Another thing is there will be less tourists in those dates (14-15 Sep and 21-22 Sep).
This Festival tests not just the bird’s mettle and the hunter’s skill, but also the bond between hunter and bird. You will be attending the spectacular Golden Eagle Festival, with up to 100 Kazakh participants and their magnificent golden eagles.
Experiencing the sight of Kazakhs on horseback, dressed in their traditional dark coats and scarlet hats, with Golden Eagles hovering on their arms. Enjoy the rare opportunity to view Golden Eagles close up and allow one to perch upon your arm.
Where is this Golden Eagle Festival?
You will have 3.5 hour flight from Ulaanbaatar city to Ulgii town, where the Golden Eagle Festival takes place in western Mongolia. There are more Kazakh people than Khalkh Mongolians in this town and they have their unique culture. Ulgii town has about 30 thousands inhabitants and also capital of province Bayan-Ulgii.
Bank ATM-s, supermarkets, restaurants, bazaar (open trading market) local museum, shops- you could buy handmade artificial are available. The Ulgii town is located bit higher altitude which is 1710 m above sea level (Ulaanbaatar city is located 1530 m above sea level).
What we see and experience at the festival?
Golden Eagle Festival takes 2 full days including competitions of:
* Golden Eagle Competition – with bait
* Golden Eagle Competition – landing on master’s arm while he is galloping horse
* Horse race -It is not a big race, only 10-20 horses will be in the race.
* Camel race– Again, it is rather small, 5-10 camels race in a short distance
* Archery– Pride Mongolians take this part of festival
* Tenge Ilu – equestrian competition of snatching coin from ground
* Kiz- Kuar– another equestrian competition of girl catches a man on the horse and whip the man, embarrassed by being kissed
* Kuk- Bar– whole goat skin grabbing competition. Another equestrian competition, that each teams try to snatch goat skin and has to deliver it to designated area, or similar to rugby but with horse riding.
Can we take a real pictures of Golden Eagle Hunters?
Yes, Nomadic Trails staff are well trained and have been working with Golden Eagle masters for numerous years. Arranging good photo setting, choosing right people, visiting exact spot for photo or videoing are part of our precise long time experience. I would say we have special connection with these Golden Eagle Masters. We also support local community and help local herdsman over the years.